Please don't get political, I am eating a sandwich.

 



Please don't get political. I am eating a sandwich. I just want to enjoy this allotted time in my day for this delicious sandwich that was served to me. The bread is warm and slightly moist. The meat inside is mostly organic and there is also mayonnaise and a little bit of salt. Oh there is also a little sliver of tomato. Not too thick mind you. A real treat. I normally don't eat sandwiches like this, but I was craving one and thought I somewhat deserved it. The atmosphere is nice in here, but there is some tension.

Please don't get political while I am eating this sandwich and drinking this cold ice tea. I see enough on the day to day from the doom scrolling. Everyone always at their necks. Everyone always trying to get me to think a certain way or be afraid of a certain person, party or group. It's all such a mess. If it give you value by all means keep up with the political talking points and diatribes, but I am simply trying to enjoy what is in front of me. An agricultural act paired with dancing the taste buds. 

People are mad. I get it. Some think it is quite possibly the end of the world. I mean it very well could be. I think that the earth could simply explore or implode at any moment. It could get hit by a giant asteroid and we could all be incinerated in minutes if not seconds. Alas, here we are. Some people can't simply stop to smell the roses. They can only focus on the heaps of trash that crowd their minds and timelines. An agitator of contentment and instigator of anxiety. When is the last time they just had a sandwich and didn't get politics involved? I asked myself.

There's a push and pull for how individuals and groups of people want the world to move towards to. Some idolize the past and that shows up in their politics. Some idolize a more utopian future and that comes out through their actions, complaints, feverish rants and ideological take downs. Who is to say is right? We vacillate between what we think would be right for us and the world around us. As crazy as we think that is. It's hard for us to conceive of us as a whole human species when politics does such a great job in dividing and conquering us. A real pairing of gluten free bread and a less harmful and more human type of circus. The carousel keeps spinning however. Some of us get off, but the others still like to ride even if it's the same imagery passing by you every 5 seconds. We get use to our old ideas and that tends to hurt us. 

It's had to get ideological when you are stuffing your face with good food. Especially when it is made by a professional. Fresh ingredients and the artistry of putting a sandwich or any food together is truly an amazing experience. There is no need to critique it with your ideological framework. It exists and it's good. It tastes good. It nourishes and satiates you. It brings back memories of great food of the past. A dense of sense and sensualities encased in a ritualistic dining experience. With or without candles. 

Really it's those moments of being present that can take us away from the doomscrolling and constant regurgitated click bait headlines. It's the simple things or how much of us might consider simple compared to the routine train wreck of cyclical and compulsive thought cycles we experience on a moment to moment basis from sunrise to sundown. You know, that first cup of coffee. That breeze you feel at night after a hot day. That feeling you get when plopping your butt on the couch after a long day at work. We appreciate the rests between the notes when we are truly present. It's those punctuations in between the sentences that really make us appreciate and understand the rat race around us. When we breathe we must inhale and then exhale or we would be in a lot of trouble. 

Please don't get political when I am getting the check. I am going to give a good tip. Looking back at my thoughts, I feel as if I am being political by telling people how I think they should act. I mean why would their feeble political driven lies be of concern to me ESPECIALLY when I am eating a sandwich? That's a very introspective and interesting question. I am thinking about it as if I chewing the remnants of the first bite of the sandwich. It's the first few bites that really set in that the experience. You get that boost of happiness and the smile on your face. You close your eyes with a smile. Like a McDonalds commercial, you escape all the problems you were swirling in your head beforehand. In that moment nothing matters more, but the dance of flavors on my tongue. A marriage or nourishment, pleasure and reaction. This is it. This is now. 

DG


Comments

Popular Posts